Saturday, December 20, 2008

Amnesty International members and others interested in Human Rights

I have a large posting coming up next week on the origins of Tuareg mistrust in central authority but for now I wanted to post a link to a large New York Times article on the current rebellion in Niger that a friend of mine brought to my attention. In my opinion, the writer romanticizes the position of the rebels, le Mouvement dès Nigériens Pour la Justice or MNJ but I do agree with the author that more people need to be aware of what is going on in the Sahara regarding indigenous peoples’ right to their land and resources. Please, if you are interested in this subject read on and contact your congressional leaders, Amnesty International or other human rights organizations about what actions can be taken to end the violence in Niger.

The link to the NY Times article is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/world/africa/15niger.html?_r=1&hp

I thank Justin Marcello for bringing this article to my attention.

No comments: